Crisp, buttery and healthy. These healthy chocolate digestive cookies have a great nutty flavour and taste even better dipped in chocolate. *Nom* *Nom*Jump to Recipe
Digestive Cookies are basically whole wheat shortbread. They are crisp and buttery just like shortbread. The whole wheat and oats in the cookies make them a healthier option.
I love the nutty flavour that the whole wheat gives to the cookies.
The crunch of the biscuit combined with rich melting chocolate makes this a perfect treat that everyone is sure to love.
How to make Digestive cookies?
These cookies are made in 4 easy steps.
- Rub the flour and cold cubed butter till it resembles bread crumbs.
‘Rubbing in’ is a technique where the flour is rubbed into a fat to make crumble, shortcrust etc.
By rubbing the fat into flour before adding any liquid, small cells of flour coated in fat are formed which gives the cookies its discontinuous and particulate texture. This layer of fat makes it difficult for the liquid to hydrate the flour, so structure-giving gluten proteins cannot form, making crumbly (short) cookies.
2. Once the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the milk and form a dough. Don’t over work the dough. Just combine till it comes together.
3. Roll out the dough in to thick sheet and cut circles using a cookie cutter. Make holes in the cookies with the help of a fork or toothpick. Making holes helps the cookie to cook evenly and prevents the middle of the cookie from fluffing up.
4. Let the baked cookies cool completely. Dip one side of the cookies in melted chocolate and place them on a flat surface to let the chocolate dry. This is completely optional and the cookies taste great without it too. The chocolate just adds in some flavour. Feel free to omit this step.
Some more cookie recipes you might like –
Check them out 🙂
Healthy Chocolate Whole Wheat CookiesCourse: CookiesCuisine: Scottish
Crisp, buttery and most importantly healthy. These healthy chocolate digestive cookies have a great nutty flavour and dipped in chocolate taste even better.
180 g Whole Wheat Flour (Aata)
50 g All- Purpose Flour (Maida)
40 g Oats Flour
75 g Powdered Sugar / Jaggery
130 g Salted Butter, Cold
1 tsp Baking Powder
75 ml Milk, cold
50 g Chocolate (Optional)
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients with cold butter. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Now add in the cold milk and make a dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a thick circle.
- Cut into rounds using a cookie cutter.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Chill the cut cookies for about 15 mins and then transfer to a lined tray.
- Poke holes in the cookies with a fork/toothpick.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for about 20 mins, until pale gold.
- Let the baked cookies cool on the tray for 15-20 mins and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are completely cool. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and dip one side of the cookies in the chocolate and let the chocolate dry. (Optional)
- Once baked the cookies will be soft and harden as they cool.
- Dipping the cookies in chocolate is completely optional. The cookies taste great without the chocolate too.
Did you try this recipe? We’d love you to rate it below under ‘rate this recipe’ or in the comment section below. Thanks!