Who doesn’t like tomato and basil together? A perfect healthy combination of tomato, basil and cheese in a flaky Whole Wheat Galette. Makes a great summer dinner or brunch.
Tomato with basil is my all time favourite! This combination of tangy sweet tomatoes with sweet basil in a crusty flaky whole wheat crust makes it healthy yet so delicious! You can add cheese in plenty to it, any kind of cheese, its your choice.
What is Galette?
Galette is a term in french cuisine for flat free form crusty cakes. They are rustic in design and don’t need any special equipment to make them. Its truly something anyone can make. It is can be savoury or sweet.
Galette is also known as a lazy person’s pie, since it similar to a pie or a tart, just easier. Everyone is sure to love this! So quick and easy to make.
How to shape Whole Wheat Tomato and Basil Galette?
- Roll out both into 10 inch Circles with the help of a rolling pin. Place the rolled dough in a lined baking tray, before adding the fillings.
2. Lay the chopped tomatoes in the centre leaving space on the edge for folding. Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder over the tomatoes. Add fresh basil leaves.
3. Grate some cheese over the tomatoes. Drizzle some olive oil.
4. Fold the edges of the galette (crust) to contain the filling, leaving the center uncovered.
5. Apply this milk wash over the folded edges and sprinkle sesame seeds.
STORING WHOLE WHEAT TOMATO AND BASIL GALETTE
Galette is best when hot and fresh out of the oven. You can also store it in the refrigerator for 3 days and bake again for 2-3 minutes before serving it.
More Savoury Recipes to try –
Whole Wheat Tomato and Basil GaletteCourse: Tarts & PiesCuisine: French
29 inch Galettes
- For Pie Crust
250 g Whole Wheat Flour
10 g Sugar
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
40 g Salted Butter, Cold
30 ml Cold Water
- For filling
3-4 Tomatoes, Sliced
10 Basil Leaves
15 g Mozzarella Cheese, grated
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Pepper, Fresh ground
1 tsp Olive Oil
- Egg wash/ Milk Wash
1/2 tsp Sesame seeds
1/2 tsp Onion Seeds
1/2 tsp Milk + Water, to brush sides or 1 egg white + 1 tsp Water
- For Pie Crust
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour sugar, salt and garlic powder.
- Chop the butter into small cubes. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or fingers.
- Sprinkle the cold water and form a dough ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- For filling
- While the dough chills, slice 4 tomatoes and season with salt. Keep the tomatoes aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Once the dough is chilled, divide the dough into 2 parts.
- Roll out both into 10 inch Circles with the help of a rolling pin.
- Place the rolled dough in a lined baking tray, before adding the fillings.
- Lay the chopped tomatoes in the centre leaving space on the edge for folding.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic powder over the tomatoes. Add fresh basil leaves.
- Grate some cheese over the tomatoes. Drizzle some olive oil.
- Fold the edges of the galette (crust) to contain the filling, leaving the center uncovered.
- In a bowl combine one tsp milk and one tsp of water. Apply this milk wash over the folded edges and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-27 mins, untill the edges are brown.
- Once baked, remove from the oven, slice and enjoy.
- You can add any cheese to the galette. Cream cheese and Ricotta go well with the tomatoes and Basil too.
Did you try this recipe? We’d love you to rate it below under ‘rate this recipe’ or in the comment section below. Thanks!