These whole wheat crinkle brownies are rich, dreamy and fudgy. The perfect crinkle top brownies!
When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futileRegina Brett
For the times that there is lots to celebrate, this will be your perfect go-to brownie recipe. The cracky and shiny tops are to die for! Fudgy, insanely chocolatey, perfectly sweet, rich and intense with a flaky crinkled top made with whole wheat flour. They are sooo soo good!
The BEST enough said!
How to make Whole Wheat Crinkle Brownies?
- The flaky skin on top/ the crinkled top is due to over missing the batter. Which is not a bad thing in this case. The lovely top is an outcome of incorporating excessive air into the batter while beating the eggs and sugar, allowing a crispy meringue layer to form on top of the brownies.
2. The extra egg yolk added to the batter adds richness to the brownies.
3. Don’t over mix the batter once the dry ingredients are added to the wet ingredients as that might change the texture of the brownies and release the air we incorporated initially. Just mix the dry and wet ingredients till incorporated.
Storing Whole Wheat Crinkle Brownies
Brownies can be stored at room temperature (20C-25C) for up to 3 days in an airtight container or in the fridge for up to 5 days. Once refrigerated, they will become like thick fudge. Reheat in the microwave for gooey brownies, if you’d prefer.
Love Brownies? Also try my –
Whole Wheat Crinkle BrowniesCourse: Dessert
These dark Chocolate brownies are dreamy, fudgy and made with whole wheat flour. The perfect crinkle top brownies!
100 g Unsalted Butter
40 g Olive Oil
180 g Dark Chocolate
180 Brown Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
90 g Whole Wheat Flour (Aata)
30 g Dutch Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Instant Coffee + 1 tsp Hot water Or 1 tbsp Fresh brewed Coffee
- Preheat the oven to 170 C.
- In a heat proof bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together on a double boiler or in the microwave at 30 second bursts. Let it cool.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolk and the sugar till the sugar is completely dissolved. The mixture will look pale and fluffy (Takes about 5 mins)
- Add the melted chocolate and butter to the egg mixture and beat well. Now, add in the olive oil and mix well.
- Sift whole wheat flour and cocoa powder. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet batter and fold till combined.
- Grease and line an 9 x 9 inch square pan. Pour the brownie batter into the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-28 mins. Check with toothpick. The brownies are done if the toothpick comes out with moist/sticky crumbs.
- Once done, let it cool and cut into 9 large or 16 smaller squares.
- Sprinkle sea salt, drizzle chocolate sauce or enjoy them as is.
- Don’t over mix the batter after adding the dry ingredients as that will change the texture of the brownies and release all the air we incorporated earlier.
- When the brownies are fresh baked, they will be a little too soft and gooey. Will firm up as they cool.