Bake it, flip it, and have a stunner of a dessert. A delicious take on the classic pineapple upside down cake, offering the sweetness and tartness of strawberries in every bite! This Strawberry Upside Down Cake is easy to make and beautiful too, with bright strawberry topping baked right in..
A delightful dessert made by arranging fresh strawberries at the bottom of a cake pan, then pouring a buttery cake batter over them. Once baked, the cake is flipped upside down to reveal a beautiful display of caramelized strawberries on top of a moist and fluffy butter cake. It is a delicious take on the classic pineapple upside down cake, offering the sweetness of strawberries in every bite!
The strawberry topping is made with just three ingredients (strawberries, sugar & cornstarch) and baked right into the top of the cake, making this a super easy dessert. They look fancy but in reality, they’re so easy!
How to make a tantalizing Strawberry Upside Down Cake?
- Prepare Strawberries – The strawberries make the base of this cake. Slice strawberries, mix brown sugar and cornflour and arrange then in a greased and lined pan.
- Make Cake Batter – Make sure to cream the softened butter and sugar well, adding eggs one at a time. Mix dry and wet ingredients and do not over mix.
- Assemble the cake – Carefully pour the cake batter over the prepared strawberries in the cake pan, spreading it evenly.
- Cool and Flip – Once baked, let the cake cool. Carefully flip it over and release the cake.
Due to the strawberry topping, this cake needs to be stored in the fridge. To avoid drying it out, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
The cake is best warm. Warm slices up in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, for the best leftover cake!
Like this recipe? Try more –
Strawberry Upside Down CakeCourse: Dessert
A delicious twist on the classic Pineapple Upside Down cake. This Strawberry Upside Down Cake is easy to make and beautiful too, with bright strawberry topping baked right in..
400 g Strawberries, thinly sliced round
1 tbsp Cornflour
30 g Brown Sugar
- Pound Cake
4 Large Eggs
175 g Sugar
200 g All Purpose Flour
200 g Salted Butter
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- For Cake Batter
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Wash and slice strawberries round. In a bowl, add the strawberries, brown sugar and cornflour. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the softened butter and sugar on high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs on at a time, beating after every addition. Add Vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mix alternating with milk, mix in three batches. Do not overmix.
- Evenly spread the strawberry slices on the top of the baking paper in the prepared cake pan.
- Pour the prepared batter over the strawberry slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool the cake for 20-25 minutes before inverting the cake onto a plate.
- Serve Warm
- Make sure to prepare your pan and line it with butter paper/ baking paper (the liner doesn’t have to be perfect!)
- Immediately after taking the cake from the oven, place a kitchen towel over it to press down and compress any dome that might’ve appeared during baking.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes or so before flipping it over to remove the cake from the pan.
- For the best strawberry upside down cake, you should use fresh strawberries instead of frozen, which end up quite mushy when thawed.
Did you try this recipe? We’d love you to rate it below under ‘rate this recipe’ or in the comment section below. Thanks!